What do I do after I get my discharge?

Immediately after you get your discharge, you should send a copy of your discharge order to the three (3) credit reporting agencies: Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax. After about six (6) months, you should get a copy of your free credit report (www.annualcreditreport.com) to make sure your discharge was reported, and all accounts have been updated. If necessary, follow up with the credit agencies on your own to make sure any mistakes are fixed. If you find that a creditor is failing to honor the discharge or otherwise is causing problems, let us know so that we may discuss your options.

When do I get my discharge?

For Chapter 7 bankruptcy, this is usually about 60 days after your meeting with the trustee. For Chapter 13 bankruptcy, this is after you have made your final payment and completed your DSO form.

What if the trustee is paying my mortgage (Chapter 13 only)?

If your mortgage is being paid by the trustee, then in most cases the trustee will file a Notice of Final Cure which lets you know that the mortgage has been brought current and lets you know when you need to make the next payment. Call us if you have any questions about this process.

What is a DSO (Chapter 13 only)?

DSO really is referring to child support or alimony (Domestic Support Obligation). Once you have made your final bankruptcy payment, you will get a DSO form in the mail asking if you owe child support and/or alimony, and if so, if you are current on those payments. All you must do is mark the correct option, sign it, and mail it back to our office.

What happens after I make my last payment (Chapter 13 only)?

Once you make your final payment, the trustee will send out a DSO form for you to complete and return to our office. Watch for this form and if you have any questions on how to complete it, call our office and we will help you.

A creditor is contacting me, what should I do?

If a creditor is still contacting you after you have received your discharge, you should let us know immediately. It may be a mistake, or it may be a more serious matter that requires further action on our part. You should not be harassed by any creditors after you have received your discharge.

How long do I have to complete the second class?

The second course must be completed before you can receive your discharge. If you are about to finish your payments and still have not completed your class, then you need to do it ASAP. If you need any help or information, please call us.

My tax refund was taken, can you get it back?

If your refund was taken before you filed, then no. If your refund was taken after you filed, then we may be able to get it back, but this is something you will want to discuss with us.

How much longer do I have left?

Feel free to call us and we can find out for you.

How can I get updates about my case?

You can register with the National Data Center (National Data Center Debtor Registration) to view the trustee’s information on your case, including payments to and from the trustee. We can also review your case information with you.